Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) Service Launch Requirements and How to Apply
The much anticipated phase 2 of the new service dedicated to awarding the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) was launched last week on January 20th, 2022.
Candidates meeting the established criteria are now able to submit and complete an LMCC service request via their physiciansapply.ca account. Once their eligibility has been reviewed and confirmed, the LMCC will be issued through their physiciansapply.ca account. The official LMCC documentation will be sent by mail or courier.
All candidates requesting the LMCC will be charged the LMCC application fee.
For in-depth information on the new LMCC service request, please refer to the MCC FAQs.
Helpful Guide – Before You Apply for LMCC
Required Medical Credentials Must be Source Verified
Both the Medical degree and an acceptable document confirming the successful completion of minimum 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training must be successfully source verified.
PGT Completed Outside Canada
If you have successfully completed 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training outside Canada or US postgraduate clinical osteopathic training:
- The proof of training document must:
- State the program discipline(s)
- Include the start and end dates of the completed training
- Be issued by the affiliated university or hospital on official letterhead (the full address and contact information of the issuing institution must appear on the document(s) or be provided on a separate document)
- Be signed and dated by the Dean or the director responsible for the training program
- The document confirming this training must be successfully source verified
- The document will be reviewed after you submit your request for the LMCC to determine whether eligibility requirements have been met
Specialty Certificate as Acceptable proof of PG Clinical Medical Training
A copy of your specialty certificate from one of the following is acceptable as proof of postgraduate training:
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)
- A member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
- Certification obtained by a medical specialty board or college outside Canada or the U.S., must be accompanied by:
- An official letter that states the start and end dates of completed clinical medical training and program discipline/rotations
- A source verification request may be required for this document
Is Pre-Diploma Postgraduate Training Acceptable?
Postgraduate clinical medical training, such as a compulsory rotating internship that is completed before the final medical degree diploma is awarded, may qualify for eligibility for the award of the LMCC. Please see here
How long will it take to receive my LMCC once I pay the fee?
If review of your postgraduate training information is not required, the LMCC will be awarded immediately after completing your application and payment.
If review of your postgraduate training information is required, please allow three to four weeks for the confirmation of your eligibility. Once the review has been completed, further communication will be sent to you.
Allow six to eight weeks after your application is approved for the hard copy of your LMCC documentation to be mailed out.
Sharing Your LMCC with Provincial Licencing Bodies
Your LMCC will not appear under Documents in your physiciansapply.ca account; therefore, you will not be able to share it. Your official documentation, confirming your LMCC number and registration date, will be sent to the mailing address on your account within six to eight weeks.
The MCC can confirm that your name has been entered in the Canadian Medical Register and that all the Medical Regulatory Authorities can view your LMCC number if you are already sharing other documents with them (for example, MCCQE Part I Statement of Results or Supplemental Information Report, medical credentials, personal and contact information).
To view your LMCC number, please follow these steps in your physiciansapply.ca account:
- Click on Profile
- Click on Identifiers and addresses
- The LMCC number and registration date will be displayed in the Identifiers right panel
How to Apply For the LMCC
- Log into your physiciansapply.ca account
- Click on Other Service Requests
- Select Apply for LMCC
- Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the required information
Physicians for You is here to help you with all your licence, registration and recruitment needs.
Contact us today if you are looking for work across Canada.
Don't miss a single blog - SUBSCRIBE now and you will get articles sent straight to your email.